Tuesday, November 3, 2009


AnderFacebooking


Opinion >> Creative Nonfiction / Nov. 2, 2009 at 9:54 pm

I’m not that creepy Facebook dude!

By Lex Singer

A Facebook status or a fan page is an extension of one’s self, much like dorm room posters or stilts. A status can be a revelation or it can be something as simple as “Kevin is boooooooooooooooored.” You can become a fan of things as exotic as Vasto De Gamo or as mundane as string cheese. Either way, it’s fine as long as you have control over your own updates. Sure, I’ve gotten the occasional inevitable comment of “I wish was there was a dislike button,” and at other times, the only person to have liked a status that I thought was pretty clever was my aunt. It’s never too big of a deal, though. Statuses and fan pages seem about as harmless as baby pandas — that is, until a friend of yours hijacks your computer and changes it. Then statuses become the opposite of harmless; they become kung fu pandas.

I will admit that I am very prone to not logging out, which is the first step in every Facebook debacle. I leave myself exposed and for that I’m oftentimes punished. My friends have made me a fan of things like “The Third Reich,” “polio,” and even “microwaves that don’t work.” These are all a little off-putting, but certainly not earth shattering. Yet recently, a friend took it a little too far.

When I went to the library for the night, I left my computer on my bed with my Facebook inevitably open. My friend must have come into my room looking for an Oreo, seen the open Facebook and pounced. He did as he pleased with it and then to make matters worse, evidently took an Oreo on the way out.



Walking back from the library later that night, I checked my phone. I was greeted with a text from my mom that read, “you sure you okay?” and a voicemail from my dad saying “just wanted to let you know and remind you that your pappy and nanny are going to see this.” As I was walking up the stairs, my friend asked me “what’d you exactly do at the library?” Something was up and I hoped to god it wasn’t that I had inadvertently mooned all of References and somehow Anderson Cooper had picked the story up.

I ran to my computer in a panic, and saw something far worse than I could have ever imagined: my friend had me a fan of 79 sex-related pages. Whether it was “sex on safari,” “sex while wearing socks,” or “sex in a hovercraft,” I would be receiving regular updates about it. It would take hours to get rid of all the pages and years to dispel the rumor that I was that creepy kid, either the one who thought this stuff was funny or the one who was in awe of people who enjoyed having “sex with a chimney sweeper.” This was bad, really bad.

There was nothing I could do though; I had homework so I let it be, just waiting for a moment to strike back. I started noticing people shooting me dirty looks while I was walking down Sheridan. While showing a slide of a nude bust of a woman from Ancient Greece, I swear that my ancient art history TA gave me the stink eye. I wanted to send out e-mails over every listserv imaginable that it wasn’t me, I wasn’t the weirdo. But there was nothing I could do.

Then one day, my friend who had single-handedly sabotaged my life and any future prospects of a job or a wife of any kind left his computer on his seat while running to the bathroom during class. I had to act quickly on this golden opportunity as I knew time was fleeting. With the adrenaline rushing, with all of those dirty looks and texts running through my mind, all I could think of was “my butt is itchy.” It wasn’t even true for me at the time, but I thought it would be a death blow; nothing in my mind could possibly be more embarrassing.



So, with a slight smirk, I alerted the whole world to the slight irritation on my neighbor’s behind. Either his friends were wearing cheaply made denim and also were beginning to get a rash or maybe they just found his honesty refreshing, because all of them loved it. In either scenario, I was the loser.

Yet, as the comments continued to pour in, I began to realize that people don’t take Facebook as seriously as I once thought. Every time someone said “you should get some cream for that dude” or “maybe you should try sleeping on your stomach tonight,” I relaxed a little. As demonstrated by his friends, Facebook statuses are not representative of a person. Facebook is such a major part of our lives that we forget we can get rid of it at anytime. If Jason’s status says, “nothing starts the day off like eating poo for breakfast,” it’s probably not true. On the off chance that that morning routine does in fact keep Jason going throughout the day, then it’s probably for the best that people don’t believe him anyway.



All Facebook references to Anderson, except the one in the article itself, are by Peter.

No comments:











Post a link to this blog on your Twitter
page by clicking on the logo above.




Our doggy, Kai, was in the hospital for 5 days,
the Veterinarian bill is over $4000.
We need Help!
If you can, Please donate,
we'll appreciate it very much:


Thank You.





Click on the map to see how much Anderson
is admired all over the world.


You are visitor #

Since October 19, 2008


New Orleans'
PONTCHARTRAIN
Humane Society's
WISH LIST
Sam
They helped find and care
for pets lost after Hurricane Katrina.
Now they need your help.
PLEASE DONATE
Anderson would love you
even more!


Television Blog Directory

My Zimbio

[Valid Atom 1.0]


AC's Book


A Memoir of War, Disasters, and Survival," a "New York Times" best seller, is his account of the people he's met, the things he's seen and the lessons he's learned in the midst of devastation.


Dispatches from the Edge
Woven into the narrative is Anderson's struggle to understand his own family's personal tragedies. The paperback version came out May 8, 2007.

Excerpt: Dispatches from the Edge
Review: Anderson cooper's journey
'360' Blog: Anderson on the new book





Peter's Books

(3 short stories and 1 short play.)


The first installment of "The Gay Ghost Trilogy" is the story of Charles Lanier, a young gay guy who rents an apartment on Lake Shore Drive on the near north side of Chicago, and the unexpected adventures he encounters from the day he moves in. And that's only the beginning; follow up with "The Next Gay Ghost" and "The Two Gay Ghosts." Each story can be read independently from the other two installments. Or get all three books in one with "The Gay Ghost Trilogy."

"The Gay Ghost"

Paperback: $9.97 + shipping


"The Next Gay Ghost"

Paperback: $9.97 + shipping


"The Two Gay Ghosts"

Paperback: $9.97 + shipping


"The Gay Ghost Trilogy"

Paperback: $22.91 + shipping


And a One Act Play about a gay Garamatean and a gay Earthling:

"Baktrohmm"

Paperback: $10.70 + shipping






Fast, easy and free submission
to many of the main Search Engines.


Visit my web sites dedicated to these handsome and talented TV guys.

Anderson Cooper

Click on Anderson's face
to visit my "Shameless
Anderson Cooper
Worship" Web Page


Thomas Roberts

Click on Thomas' hunky face
to visit this
Handsome and Talented
Anchorman


A.J. Hammer

Click on A. J.'s cute face to
visit this other
Handsome and Talented
New Yorker


Rob Marciano

Click on Rob Marciano's
handsome face to visit
this Sexy and Talented
Meteorologist






Links:


Anderson CNN

  • Anderson Cooper Program Index
  • Anderson Cooper 360° Blog
  • Anderson Cooper 360 Transcripts


  • Anderson Fan Sites

  • Shameless Anderson Cooper Worship 1
  • Shameless Anderson Cooper Worship 2
  • CNN-Fan Page Anderson Cooper
  • Addicted to Anderson Cooper
  • All Things Anderson
  • AnderNation: Anderson Images
  • AHC - Wikipedia
  • AC360 - Wikipedia



  • Present for Anderson on his 40th birthday.

    Star name: Anderson Cooper
    Star number: 111604
    Star magnitud: 8.20
    Star color: white (brilliant)
    Constellation: Gemini
    Coordinates: RA: 4H 6m 13.01s
    Declination: 8° 30m 10.22s